[Warning: No Howie, no Beautiful Women.]
1. Contract on first real novel 3 1/2 years ago. Much excitement.
2. Nothing happens for many moons.
3. First revision.
4. Company shuffle.
5. Novel shuffled to new editor.
6. Nothing happens.
7. Go visit new editor.
8. First revision with new editor.
9. Second revision with new editor.
10. No one happy with novel now.
11. Contract rescinded by mutual consent. Much sadness (on my part, at least).
1. Like losing friends–both the novel and the people who are all quite wonderful.
2. Failure, at relationships and my job.
3. Mourning the loss.
Too soon to tell but the novel was (is?) about coming to terms with death and ends, as all my novels, with hope. Because I’m all about hope. Without that, where would we be?
So, time to get to work on the current ms. That means you, too. Thanks for listening.